FANDOM


Creates a portal that pulls extra-planar creatures through.

Original D&D Edit

Debuted in Supplement I: Greyhawk, for the magic-user. Dragon Magazine #12 added this at a lower level for the Illusionist.

  • Spell Level 9 (magic-user) or 7 (illusionist)

Opens a cosmic portal to allow some ultra-powerful being named during the casting (such as Odin, Set, Cthulu, a demi-god, etc.) to come to the plane. The caster can then entreat the entity for aid. There is a 95% chance that the called being will come, and a 5% chance that some other being responds to the call. If the being shows up, there is a 5% chance that they will return from whence they came almost immediately.

AD&DEdit

Gate Edit

Debuted in the Player's Handbook as a cleric spell.

Level: 7 School: Conjuration/Summoning
Components: V, S
Range: 3" Casting Time: 5 segments
Duration: Instant Saving Throw: None
Effect: One summoned creature

Opens a gate to another plane to draw through some demon, devil, demi-god, god, or other powerful entity. Something always responds to the gate, and typically remains to take some action, but the action it takes depends on its own desires -- and likely the alignment of the caster and their companions, and the threats they face.

DM's Advice: The called being can send a servant instead, (such as pit fiends or ki-rin). If the request is a trifle, the being will leave or attack (20% chance of doing nothing); if it is something of middling importance, it might take some positive action and then demand repayment (15% chance of doing nothing). Urgent things are dealt with, and then repayment is requested (1%-50% chance of doing nothing). Creatures always respond as their nature would indicate -- Asmodeus summoned to save a party from some demons would likely seek to destroy everyone, and if summoned to fight Bahamut would likely flee unless it was of vital importance to him.

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.